Born in poverty, Old Town is heaven to her - Published in Scottsdale Progress, July 2019


Born in poverty, Old Town is heaven to her




Each barber station at the V’s Barber shop on Indian School and 48th Street in Arcadia features a laminated piece of paper outlining the biography of the employee who works there. 
The one belonging to the bubbly Scottsdale resident Romina Brumbaugh stands out from the rest. 
She was born Romina Brushkoeva in  Kyrgyzstan, a former territory of the Soviet Union with a population of six million and a yearly average wage of $251. 
“It was not easy, but it was my life. I remember times when we didn’t have nothing and we [would] just fry onion in oil,” Romina said. “We had meat only on holidays.”
Romina said that for a family in Kyrgyzstan, getting a cake feels like getting a Mercedes. 
Once she finished school and spent a few years working excruciatingly long hours as a barber for hardly any pay, she grew frustrated. 
Things reached a breaking point in 2009, when, at age 21, she was hospitalized with an illness in a dilapidated, outdated room with no money. 
“I was asking God, ‘Please let me leave and go somewhere and make some money,” she said.
While still recovering, bedridden and desperate, she got a call from a friend who asked if she would like to make good money cutting hair in Afghanistan. 
Anxious to leave, she accepted the job offer immediately without asking questions, and flew to Afghanistan two days later. 
Unbeknownst to her, Romina had accepted a position with a company contracted by the United States military to provide barbers for U.S. service members stationed on bases in combat zones. 
She had been so cut off from world news in her homeland that she had no idea that a war was raging there.
“When I landed at the airport in Kabul, my manager gave me a helmet and armor and I asked her why do I need that?” said Romina. “She said, ‘what do you mean why? You are in a war.’ I was very shocked.”
Going home was not an option. Romina’s employer floated the cost of training, travel and armor. If she left before her contract was complete, she would be liable for those expenses. 
“I was crying every night after my haircuts. I could not sleep because it was so tough for me. I didn’t understand [English], my haircuts were horrible, my manager was not happy,” she said. “But I made it 11 months.”
After about a year back in Kyrgyzstan, she again grew eager to make a decent wage. 
Things didn’t go as planned. 
Under the terms of her contract, Romina was paid no hourly wage and was given none of the $5.25 soldiers paid for her haircuts. She relied entirely on tips for her income.
 For this reason, when she returned to Afghanistan in 2012, she was nervous when she heard that her new base in Tarin Kwot had a bad reputation for slow business and bad tips. 
Her fears were confirmed. After a few months of sparse earnings, she gathered what little cash she had to pay the lofty $25-for-30-minutes price to call and plead with her mother back home. 
“I was so sad. I think I spent $50 talking to her. I asked ‘Why did God send me here? I don’t make money, I am lonely.’ She told me everything happens for a reason,” Romina recalled. 
Within days of this desperate conversation, Romina found her reason.
A combination of family problems, a failing romantic relationship and a crashing economy drove Clint Brumbaugh to leave his home in Phoenix to work as a privately contracted heavy wheel mechanic in Afghanistan in 2007. 
“At the time, there was a lot going on. I wanted to get away and make a change,” Brumbaugh said. 
Romina was instantly struck by Clint when he walked into her shop in late 2012. 
“I gave him a one-and-a-half-hour-long haircut because I didn’t want to let him go. But he didn’t ask for my number and he only gave me a $7 tip!” she said. 
Romina figured he was too shy to make the first move. For the next three weeks, she did her makeup and hair carefully and scoured the bases few hangout spots at all hours in search of Clint — but to no avail. 
One day, after she had given up her search, Clint came back to see her at the shop. 

Comments

Popular Posts